Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To Believe or Not To Believe

It was a Friday night sometime in the spring of 2009.  Somehow I came across an article by Robin Leach saying that Michael would be headed to Vegas the next day to see the Chris Angle/Cirque du Soleil show “Believe”. 

The next morning, before heading out to Carolwood, I threw a couple of things in an overnight bag and filled up my tank just in case there was any truth to the article.  While waiting outside the house, both escalades and another SUV drove out of the gates.  I don’t remember if anyone saw Michael or talked to him in the car but we were all certain he was in there with his entourage.  There were a couple of paparazzi guys there in addition to a handful of fans so a long line of cars started to follow the SUVs (that was the norm, more or less).  Shortly after leaving the house, everyone got trapped in a side street and we all lost the escalades in the “chase”.  We all scattered and took different routes but no one was able to find them.  I decided I would continue driving towards Vegas anyways.  I called Arus and told her the story and she quickly packed her overnight bag and decided to come with me.  She was on the way so I picked her up and we headed towards Vegas.   
We hopelessly drove up the 15 Fwy not knowing if Michael was even headed there or if we would be able to find him.  An hour or so before reaching Vegas, Arus miraculously spotted the two blue escalates just ahead of us and we started screaming like it was our first time seeing his cars. 

At some point we pulled up next to him with this sign that Arus had quickly scribbled. 

Others who were on the road were informed about our location and everyone caught up with us and followed until we reached the Wynn Hotel.  Michael, his kids and staff got out and went into the Tower Suites at the Wynn.  We all valeted our cars and checked in to the same hotel.  There was 8 of us and we shared one very expensive suite. 
Shortly after arriving Michael went to eat at Wing Lei (at the Wynn) with I Kenny Ortega.  Some of us missed him as he went into the restaurant but we saw him when he came out.  He was looking absolutely amazing (but I can’t remember what he was wearing).  At this point a small crowd had built up but he saw us and as he walked into the lobby area we followed and someone (I think Andres) asked “Are you going to the show” and he replied “ya, right now” while pointing in the direction he was walking in. 
Silly us, we ran out and jumped in cabs and off we went to the Luxor where Believe was playing.  We bought tickets and went inside assuming he’s on his way.  Arus chose to just wait out in the back.  The show went on and no Michael.  We left to go out back and join Arus and no sign of Michael.  Later we found out that he had gone to see La Reve at the Wynn.  We were complete idiots because he was walking towards the show while he pointed in the direction of the theater and said he was going there “right now”, but somehow we all believed the article and went to the opposite end of the strip assuming he was headed there too!  Needless to say we did not see him that night.
Next morning he left to go somewhere and a couple of the guys were downstairs and saw him leave but Arus and I were not there.  After he left we spent the ENTIRE day in the Tower Suites lobby waiting, assuming he would show up at any time.  The afternoon turned into evening and evening turned into night.  We couldn’t wait anymore, we had a long drive home and work/school the next day.  At 9:30pm we said bye to everyone and headed out. 


Angry, frustrated, tired, and disappointed, we walked outside and I handed my ticket to the valet guy.  We glanced to our left and about 50 feet away from us Michael had just gotten out of the car and was walking towards the other entrance.  I snatched my valet ticket from the guy’s hand and we turned around and walked back inside the door we had just come out of.  In the hallway we spotted Michael walking with Amir and Alberto.  Faheem had come in through our entrance.  There was no one else in that entire hallway.  No one.  We said “hi” as Michael walked in our direction to get to the hotel lobby.  I don’t remember the short exchange of words but I’m glad I managed to spit out “Can I give you a hug?”  And so I hugged him then Arus did the same. 


He walked through the doors into the lobby area.  Because I’m stupid, I was about to turn around and walk back out to the valet when Arus said “let’s go see him greet the others”.  So we walked behind him and I’ll never forget everyone’s faces as they first noticed him.  Everyone quickly greeted and hugged him and someone handed him a letter that we had written earlier that day. 
No amount of vegas winnings could bring me the amount of joy and excitement that this trip brought me. Arus and I drove home after that but it was more like we floated home on a cloud. 

-Talin

8 comments:

  1. I got really emotional reading this story... That weekend was pure bliss <3
    I'm really happy I fhared those moments with you all :)
    -Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vegas trip!! It was simply magical! Actually the less magical moment was the Chris Angel part LOL! I remember the Robin Leach article too, it said he'll go vegas on the weekend so we pack our thinkgs and were ready to leave for vegas on Friday! but he left the next day, and we had to leave with just what we were wearing! When the cars were leaving Carolwood Vanessa, Ale and me went to his window and I asked him "Are you going to Vegas, Michael?" and he silenced for a second and then said "yeap" like meaning 'how the hell do you guys know where I'm going!!!' lol
    I would love to have a picture of him when he went to the restaurant, same as Talin I cant remember what he was wearing but he really looked gorgeous. All those hours waiting in the lobby were REALLY worth it, we all got our chance to hug him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember what he was wearing that saturday! A black velvet jacket, black jeans and that red shirt he wore last time he went to London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah I remember a black jacket for sure. God I'm so glad I didn't pay for that useless Chris Angel show...it all seemed weird to me and figured I would see him "outside in the back" anyway. What idiots we were that he pointed to exactly where he was going and we went the opposite way! LMAO Unforgettable.

    - Arus

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya, i kinda remembered the red london shirt but i wasn't sure. i wish, wish, wish a photo would surface somehow. there were some random ass ppl around when he came out of the restaurant, someone must've snapped a photo... Andres, i forgot u guys asked him at the car window. lol, that's hilarious!

    did i leave anything out u guys? well, besides the prank someone played on us that night. that will forever remain a mystery. O_o and after all that nonsense yana, jojo and i went down to valet to make sure the escalates were still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol andres, ya, the least magical part was the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovley read.....I was always the "missed him by a minute" fan lol....whenever he came to London, everytime I found out where he was going to be, I would turn up just after he'd left or if he was coming in or out of the hotel...after hours of waiting.. I'd miss him by a minute after I'd gone to get coffee or to pee lol! But I do treasure the times when I actually did see him :D! Who knew o2 London 2009, would be the last :( ;( :( xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. what wonderful story....we are so lucky to live in los angeles. Thank you for sharing. for all time i always desired to live in L.a. for this reason...
    thank you really this remember are so precious for me too! LOVE Anna

    ReplyDelete