Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Geppetto Snowglobe

It’s now ten days until Christmas Day and it got me thinking of a very magical December back in 2008 when Michael first moved into his new home. I was at my local mall doing some light Christmas shopping for family at The Disney Store when I spotted an adorable snowglobe with all of Michael’s favorite characters. It was light brown, in a style of a jukebox with a snowglobe of Jiminy Cricket (from Pinocchio) in the center of it with other classic Disney characters all around it. I knew Michael would love it, it was so him….but it was over $100. I called some of my follower friends and asked if they wanted to chip in for a Christmas gift to Michael from all of us. I purchased it, wrapped it up beautifully and wrote a card from all of us. It was later delivered to him Christmas Eve.


A photo of the actual gift.
Fast forward to New Year’s Eve…we get a call saying, “Michael is on his way to Hennessey + Ingalls Bookstore in Santa Monica”. Talin and I made it there just in time before it got crowded with people. There were not many people inside the store when we got there; only the few customers already inside the store before Michael and his security. We stayed far away and acted natural as he shopped…burying our faces in books and such. I think we are the only people in the world who would ignore Michael Jackson at a bookstore.

Well eventually he noticed us and started looking at books in front of us. I think it was getting awkward that we were ignoring him (he knew it was us) so he acknowledged us finally. He reached his hand over the books and said “Hey”. :)

We said our hellos and I wanted to engage in some brief conversation so I asked him about our Christmas gift and if he opened it yet as I’ve heard he kept a box of unopened gifts and letters at times.

“What was it?” he asked.

I was calm as usual but the mixture of people’s stares and other fans overflowing in got me tongued-tied and I gave a horrible description of the gift.

“It was a Gheppetto thing. A snowglobe”, I mumbled.

First of all, Gheppetto from Pinnocchio is nowhere to be found on it. But of course he knew what I was talking about.

“Oohhhhh. The one that lights up and plays music?! I love it. It’s in my bedroom now…thank you, I love it.”

I didn’t even know it played music! Later we checked the website and saw that it played "When You Wish Upon A Star". How wonderful and appropriate we thought. Michael had our Christmas gift sitting in his bedroom. It was a very beautiful feeling and it definitely made my holiday special that year. New Year’s Eve festivities felt especially magical that night.

I wonder where the snowglobe is now…I guess we will never know, at least for now.

XoXo
- Arus

11 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet, precious memory..I heard it before and I can't get enough of reading it and imagining..I can only picture you girls, very serious and engrossed with your reading :) Why be fazed when a guy named Michael Jackson is in the same store? Just be cool. Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful story ,keep'em coming ...finally, a nice lovely thing to read about MJ instead of all the nonsense around !I appreciate these MJ-fan stories alot :)

    God bless u girls...thank u very much !
    Ohood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about you guys giving him the snowglobe but didn't know the whole story! I can't imagine the way you felt when he said he had it in his room!that was a beautiful story!thanks for sharing and.....start typing up the next one!lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. michael didn't know what you were talking about at first. it took a little bit more describing (i think i said something about peter pan and pinocchio) until he figured it out.

    - Talin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll give you one of my livers lol... <3

    - Olive

    ReplyDelete
  6. "First of all, Gheppetto from Pinnocchio is nowhere to be found on it."...What do you mean there's a big 'ol Gheppetto in the middle of it. LOL

    This is a beautiful story... I'm so glad I finally get to read all the amazing adventures you girls had with MJ. <3 I will vicariously live through them lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Armine...That's JIMINY CRICKET! Not Gheppetto. Gheppetto is the old man!

    - Arus

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooo happy to read your stories my lovely friends... you know.. i feel like I was with you there while reading... with tears reading your memories I swear... I want him back so maybe i will have the chance to see him :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, this story made me :):) ...so sweet! lol @ being tounge tied and Ghepetto??? haha! Aaaand that snow globe is fab.... I want one! lol xx

    ~neesa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, all your stories are loving mommery of this precious man that we all love. I admire you all having the opportunities to get so close to him while we can't do much being so far away in Asia. I haven't finished reading all your stories yet but please keep writing for us to share the joy and happiness ...
    Thanks and hugs
    Yoly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi girls, I don't know if you have seen this, it's your gift for Michael, in his bedroom. I'm sorry for the article, I decided to send the link of that picture only.

    http://ll-media.tmz.com/2013/06/14/michael-jackson-evidence-photos-inside-death-house-drugs-propofol-028-480w.jpg

    ReplyDelete