Monday, December 20, 2010

My First Time

Every Michael Jackson fan used to dream about visiting Neverland one day.  For me this dream came true 7 years ago today…
As a child I always wondered where Santa Ynez was located, and as an adult it never once occurred to me to look up the address and drive there.  I assumed everything about Michael was top secret and confidential.  Back then I was kind of clueless and not very active online and the only fan friend I had was my good friend Paul who I had met in 1993 at the super bowl.  After the horror of the allegations in 2003, Paul called me one day to tell me about a party at Neverland.  Didn’t know any other fans or how to get on the list, but still decided to drive up there for the first time. 
Early Saturday morning, December 20th, 2003, I picked up Karin, my friend’s sister who I had just learned was an MJ fan, and we headed up north on the 101.  After a two hour drive we reached the gates and saw a few parked cars and news vans.  It was still early and no cars were going in yet.  While waiting, we met a few other fans.  None of us were “invited” so we stood around for hours while rows and rows of cars started showing up and driving inside.  Traffic was backed up all the way down Figueroa Mountain Rd. with cars full of fans holding signs and banners and blasting MJ music.  But of course not all of them were fans.  Some friends, some locals and some miscellaneous people were there also to support Michael as he was getting ready to face some tough times.
Knowing that standing out there was pointless, I decided to try and get in.  We got in line with the other cars and drove through the gates and pretended our names were on the list.  It didn’t work and Violet asked us to pull over to the side and wait for her.  Lucky for us this was a crowded situation.  There were 5 or 6 rows of cars just past the brown gates, getting checked in and signing forms.  Instead of pulling over to the side and waiting, we just moved a couple of lanes and continued forward until the next security came up to us with forms and passes.  We were in! 
We got our wristbands and passes and drove through the property for a little while then down the hill to the main gates.  We parked on the left, went through a security check point by the NOI and picked up a t-shirt.  Shirts were being given out near the big tent looking thing that read “Welcome to Neverland Valley Ranch”. Then finally, we walked through the main gates and we were INSIDE neverland!   I wanted to scream and cry out of joy.  I’d been dreaming about this moment for 15 years. 

To the right of us some people waited for the little train.  To the left of us some people were picking out ice cream from the ice cream cart which was placed outside of the little bungalow.  We decided to walk instead of waiting for the train.  I cannot even begin to explain the emotions that ran through me at that very moment.  The view, the atmosphere, the air, the trees, the bronze statues of children, the “Caution: children at play” signs were some of the things that immediately took my breath away. 
It was a long walk before we could really see anything.  We came up to the lake on our left and then walked to the main house.  In front of the house were 3 llamas and a giant snake.  Later we also saw some elephants walking around. 
Behind the main house and past the swimming pool is where the event set up was.  The stage was facing the house and white chairs were placed in front of it in rows and sections. 
We walked past the event set up and came up to the rides: carousel, spider, ferris wheel, zipper, swings, sea dragon, and some rides for younger kids.  We wanted to get on the ferris wheel to see the view from up top but it wasn’t running.  So we asked the staff and one of the other ride operators came over and turned it on for us.  Just as we expected, it was absolutely magical. 
We didn’t want to waste too much time in one place so that was the only ride we got on that day.  We walked back and went up to the train station.  I don’t even know if the big train was running that day but we didn’t have a chance to get on it.  The train station was probably my favorite thing at Neverland.  After a quick walk through, we came back down towards the guest house by the lake.  We saw Rebbie outside and Katherine, who was standing in the doorway, greeted us as we passed by. 
We made our way to grab seats for the event that was scheduled to start at 3pm.  Tons of celebrities were there.  The MC was Tommy Davidson and he first brought up Tisha Cambell who read a poem called “Footsteps in the Sand”.  Then an orchestra started to play during which Michael made his appearance.  He walked from the main house towards the event set up. 
The crowd went crazy and everyone was trying to get close to him.  He walked down the aisle closest to us as he was getting mobbed by the guests.  As he passed us I managed to reach out and touch his hand.  He was looking amazing in his light blue silk shirt (that he wore again for the Ed Bradley/60 minute interview).   
Facing the stage, in the front were 3 beige leather couches.  Michael finally made his way over and sat down on the middle couch.  The orchestra at this point had left the stage and the MC was back up there introducing the Jackson family.  The parents, most of the brothers and sisters and some of their kids and grandkids walked through the aisle and joined Michael on the couches.  Katherine sat on his right and Joseph on his left.  Karen Faye was also there sitting on the ground near Michael along with some of the nieces and nephews.  People kept crowding around from behind to see Michael and security was trying to control the chaos.     
Next on stage was the Andrae Crouch Choir and they sang “Will You Be There” and “I’ll be there”.  The staff at Neverland came on stage and one of them gave a speech and the other recited the same poem as Tisha Cambell had, “Footsteps in the Sand”.  This whole event was not meant to be entertaining so not very well planned.  It was actually drawn-out and boring but in the presence of Michael it didn’t make a difference. 
The emotional part of the night was when David Rothenberg gave a speech and talked about how Michael befriended him and employed him.  He was the burn victim whose father had set him on fire at the age of 6.  There was another guy that spoke who had a similar story but I don’t recall his name.  Once they were done they both walked over to Michael and gave him a hug. 
The show continued with Jermaine singing a song he had written for Michael called “The First Time”.  Others gave speeches including Robert Townsend, Eddie Griffith, MC Hammer, Rodney Jenkins, Darryl Strawberry with his two pastors Paula White and Rob Mallan, and a few others I didn’t recognize. 
Debbie Allan was there too with her dance crew.  She said a few words then the kids went up on stage to dance.  Michael absolutely loved this.  Up until this point he was sitting very still with very little reaction to what was going on.  But seeing these talented kids on stage made him smile, snap his fingers, and tap his feet. 
At some point toward the beginning of the event we had left our seats and had ended up on the side of the stage facing Michael.  He took a break halfway through the show during which we moved around and changed spots again so that we had a clear view of him and the stage.   
At the very end when everyone was done speaking and performing, the MC introduced Michael and he got up to head for the stage.  The screams and cheers were louder than usual.  As Michael approached the steps on the side, security let us run up to the stage.  Needless to say it was chaos and Karin and I were in the front, against the stage, being crushed.  The choir started singing “You Are Not Alone” and Michael waited on the side.  Once the song was almost over he made his way up the steps and grabbed the mic.   He said “thank you” and “I love you” and that was pretty much it.  Everyone that was on stage with him wanted to shake his hand and give him a hug.  Since there were a lot of people up there, security slowly moved him off the stage.  We ran to the side of the stage where 3 black SUVs were parked.  He climbed into one of them with his parents and they drove off. 
After Michael had left, we left that area to enjoy Neverland some more.  Back towards the main house, we played on the trampoline that was near the pool.  Then we headed over to the arcade, which was also by the pool.  Karin and I played the pinball machine for a few minutes then went upstairs to the second floor.  The arcade was too crowded so we left and headed back up to the train station.  TJ was there hanging out near the video game/couch area.  We walked up the narrow winding staircase to the cozy game room.  It was like a tiny family room with a fire place, a Christmas tree, and board games on the coffee table.  The windows overlooked the train tracks.  There was no one there so we sat down for a moment and tried to take it all in. 
After the train station, we walked back down past the main house and over to the bridge.  We sat on the bridge for a little while and enjoyed the surroundings.  The sun had set hours ago, sometime during the long event, so now it was dark and the gazebos and a few other areas were lit with white Christmas lights.  My god Neverland was so magical and breathtaking.  So unbelievably beautiful and impossible to put into words. 
We slowly made our way towards the gates and left Neverland around 8pm.  On our drive home, overwhelmed with everything that had just happened, we realized that we left voluntarily without anyone asking us to leave. 
This support event at Neverland was called “You Are Not Alone”.  It was the start of difficult times, but they were still beautiful memories. 

If you were also there on this day, please feel free to share your story in the comments.   
-Talin

13 comments:

  1. Oh my God, this is so beautiful, and while reading your wonderful words I lived that fairytale in my mind. Such a paradise, and such a tragic time for that Angel..just wow at the description. Thank you friend.
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have absolutely NOTHING written about this day. All I remember was being annoyed at the way fans were acting. LOL You were probably one of them. Just playing!

    I'll be posting my first time at Neverland very soon too. :)

    - Arus

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As a child I always wondered where Santa Ynez was located, and as an adult it never once occurred to me to look up the address and drive there. I assumed everything about Michael was top secret and confidential. "

    Same here!! In fact, I always believe this until I met you, lucky girls. I never even dare to try to get any close, not only for me living in the other side of the world, but mainly because I thought Neverland was actually out of reach. In my very first memories of Michael, let's say, around 1981/2, I was some 6 years old and I believed he was really of another world. LOL!! I remember seeing his face on magazines and thinking, "Where does he come from?"... for the US was like the outer space for me :-D

    Wonderful memories, indeed, congratulations and thank you so much for sharing. It was just 7 years ago. Wowwww.... so far and so close, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This party was my second time inside Neverland. I got a phonecall from a friend saying he put my name on the VIP guest list for a party at Neverland....tomorrow. I was in New Jersey!! I got on a plane and headed to LAX.

    I can't recall specific details but a news station that was trying to get us to record stuff inside Neverland and make phonecalls to them while we were inside actually sent a nice car to pick me up at the airport- and we never followed through with the "exclusives" for them ofcourse...but thanks for the ride haha.

    I clearly remember pulling up the the first gates, I saw the fans and media waiting outside. I felt bad for the fans that weren't invited...cause I know how it is to stand outside events and WISH I could get in. They were trying to give us signs and letters through our SUV window to "bring to Michael".

    As Violet walked up to our window I still had this nervous feeling in my stomach that my name wouldn't really be on the list. She started to hand us our wristbands and then gave me and my friend a different color then she was giving everyone else?? We really were somehow on the VIP list.

    Drove down the long driveway to the parking area. I remember looking at my camera sitting in the backseat thinking...should I risk it and just bring it in? I didn't. We hopped on the small train and got off at the main house. My first time at Neverland earlier that year- I didnt get to go anywhere near the main house so I spent some time snooping around and looking in every window. I remember seeing alot of pictures of Michael and the kids that had never been seen before at that point. I saw the little "parking lot" for all the kids bikes, power wheels, tricycles. I said hi to MC Hammer, E`Cassanova, and Mark Geragos. Then I walked up to the Giving Tree, climbed a few steps and hopped down. And who was standing there but Michu. The little guy from the Dangerous album cover....in full Dangerous costume with top hat and all. I shook his tiny hand and moved on......only in Neverland hahaha.

    We literally explored everything we could- Tee Pee village, water baloon fort, petting zoo, arcade, rides, movie theater. I wanted to see EVERYTHING- cause who knows if I would ever have this opportunity again.

    Then me and my friend walked over to the guest house where I met Joe and Jermaine. Joe told us to go say hi to Katherine inside. So we walked into the guest house. This is still one of the most surreal moments...not involving Michael. I am sitting on a bed with Katherine. Randy and Tito are in the room discussing old Motown stuff- and I am sitting there just thinking to myself how the hell did I get here. Little white boy from New Jersey sitting in a beautiful bedroom with the Jackson family. I needed to call my mom- so I was trying to use the phone but you have to dial a code to make any outgoing calls- so Latoya comes over and helps me do that. I walked into the bathroom of the guest house and just looked in the mirror still asking myself if I was dreaming. I was so tempted to take a towel, or toilet paper, or soap...all with the golden "Neverland Valley" logo on them. But I didn't.

    Alot of the fans and celebs were starting to take their place by the stage out on the lawn- but I knew I was sticking around the Jackson family for as long as I could. Katherine and Joe ate BBQ chicken by the pool. I played on the trampoline a little bit. I walked over to the train station which nobody else was in at the time. I walked up the spiral staircase and was up in the cozy little room all by myself- surrounded by the things Michael had collected from around the world. I was in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I walked back by the main house where a huge tour bus was now parked. Michael came out surrounded by NOI. He was whispering to a few people but was being very over protective and guarded, As he started to walk towards the couches to sit. I just calmly walked with him and the security guards as if I was part of the entourage. This is footage I would love to see. My face trying to act cool and calm was probably priceless.

    Like Talin said the "show" was a disorganized mess- but I was just watching Michael. He sat little Michu on his lap at one point and I just put my hand over my face thinking of that picture being in the press the next morning. When he got up to run to the house- I followed. It was only a few of us running with Michael a she jumped over the little streams. Security trying to keep up with him. He came back out with a black velvet jacket with red armband. After he got in the SUV by the stage- we went back by the main house where he stopped and opened the window. We all started singing D.S. but clearly saying TOM SNEDDON IS A COLD MAN, and he was getting so into it, and bouncing and dancing in the SUV.

    At that point it was getting late and everyone was clearing out- but we were trying to find a way to spend the night. Talking to Michael's cousins and stuff. We gave up around 11pm and finally left. And as I looked at that sign lit up in the darkness "Goodbye For Now" I hoped I would be back very soon and see that sign many times again. Unfortunately, the next time I would see all of that stuff would be at the auction in Beverly Hills in 2009.

    No one could ever explain or put into words how magical Neverland was. When I tell people these stories, I think some people might think I'm crazy and making it all up cause it sounds SO unbelievable. I am so thankful that some of us got to live inside his dream world for a few moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Pete! I loved reading that because I don't remember ANYTHING from that day. :( It was a very big messy blur to me.

    By any chance did Brent or Kristie invite you? I was the original invited person who "made" that guestlist with First and Last names and forwarded it to family. So basically you went because of me! Haha :D

    - Arus

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Arus, someone else invited him, not you.

    Pete, that was amazing. the end totally made me cry! i remember when you and ur friend came by in the SUV and took stuff from the fans outside, well, i don't remember you but i remember him. i wrote it all in my 20 page journal. lol. i also wrote in there about Michu sitting on michael's lap, my reaction was the same as urs. lol. what an awesome memory! maybe one day we'll see some footage of this.

    where is kristie and everyone else that was there! we need to totally hear their stories too!

    -Talin

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right Talin, he had "VIP"...and the only way he would have gotten on our list would be through Jess, Kristie or Brent I think because I didn't know him then.

    This is so crazy, I don't remember ANYTHING.

    - Arus

    ReplyDelete
  9. freakin arvizos, ruined the neverland mj empire. i miss that place and all the good times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply love your blog. It made me smile and cry at the same time. I love you, guys! You were all so so lucky...Keep the stories coming, they are wonderful testimonies of how human/unique/beautiful/humble our Michael was. L.O.V.E. (Monica)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this too....thank you again. here in Italy we say when we are extremely happy "stay with heart inside the sugar" so i feel when i red your story ....thank you again! Anna .

    ReplyDelete